Cotter Reserve


Located less than 30 minutes drive from the centre of Canberra, this is one of the City’s most popular recreation areas, especially for families at weekends and around public holidays. Continue reading “Cotter Reserve”


The Fellowship of First Fleeters


Wandering around the delightfully named suburb of Woolloomooloo I came across a small building called First Fleet House. The shingle above the entrance announced this to be the business premises of the Fellowship of First Fleeters (1788AD). Above the shingle a Union Jack proudly fluttered in the light breeze. Continue reading “The Fellowship of First Fleeters”

Dead in the Town Hall – Old Sydney Burial Ground


In 1792 the first formal burial ground for Sydney was established on the site which is now occupied by the Sydney Town Hall. In 1792 this was deemed sufficiently far from the settlement area such that it would not affect the health of the living and it would provide a place of quiet repose for the dead. Continue reading “Dead in the Town Hall – Old Sydney Burial Ground”


Cadman’s Cottage


Totally overshadowed by Circular Quay, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, it is little wonder that most visitors scarcely notice Cadman’s Cottage and those that do pay it scant regard, being intoxicated by its world famous neighbouring sights. Continue reading “Cadman’s Cottage”


Big Dig Archaeology Education Centre


In the days of Empire Britain acquired, and used, Australia as a dumping ground for its undesirable and unwanted citizenry. By the late 18th century Britain’s prison system had reached its breaking point and Australia, at the other end of the world, provided the perfect solution to overcrowding in British gaols. Continue reading “Big Dig Archaeology Education Centre”


Prisoners In Paradise


Most visitors sunning themselves, snorkelling and otherwise enjoying themselves on Kuto Beach would be totally oblivious to the fact that most 19th century visitors to the Ile des Pins spent their time here locked up in cells with no opportunity to enjoy the island and its beaches as today’s visitors do. They would be oblivious to the fact that the island’s main colonial prison was a short distance from the beach. Continue reading “Prisoners In Paradise”


Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption – Built By Ungodly Convicts


Catholic missionaries, in the form of French Marists, came to the Ile des Pins in 1848. Earlier Protestant arrivals (1841) were either eaten or fled the island. Continue reading “Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption – Built By Ungodly Convicts”