St Peter’s Cathedral – Church of Churches

60Given its abundance of churches, of all persuasions, Adelaide is frequently referred to as the City of Churches. St Peter’s Cathedral, a landmark on the city’s north side, is the most spectacular of all these churches and has, arguably, the richest history. Continue reading “St Peter’s Cathedral – Church of Churches”

Advertisements

Australian Centre For Christianity And Culture – Incorporating The Bible Garden

69

In 1926 the Church of England (now the Anglican Church of Australia) was granted a prime piece of land overlooking the then Mononglo River (stream), now Lake Burley Griffin. The intent was that a grand cathedral be built on the site and it was thus dedicated for St Mark’s Cathedral. Due to a lack of funds, the Cathedral was never built. Continue reading “Australian Centre For Christianity And Culture – Incorporating The Bible Garden”

St Mary Magdalene and Mission Hall

115

When nearby St John’s Anglican Church (also known as ‘St John’s in the Wilderness’) in Halifax Street, built in 1839, became to small and was found to be structurally unsound it was decided that a larger replacement, St Mary Magdalene’s, be built in Moore Street. It was to be a mission church in one of Adelaide’s poorest and depressed areas at the time and a spiritual “no man’s land”. (St John’s was also subsequently rebuilt). Continue reading “St Mary Magdalene and Mission Hall”

From Train Station to Parish Church

20

All Saints Anglican Church – Ainslie

Those who have read my Sydney review – Rookwood Cemetery – Train Stations – will be aware that there is more than a passing resemblance between Rookwood Cemetery’s Gothic Ecclesiastic style Mortuary Receiving Station No. 1 and All Saints Anglican Church here in the Canberra suburb of Ainslie. Continue reading “From Train Station to Parish Church”

St John the Evangelist’s Anglican Church

10

The first white settler to arrive in Young was the aptly named James White an ex-convict who arrived in 1832. Having befriended Cobborn Jackie, a chief of the Waradjeri Aboriginal tribe, he secured a homestead site at Burrangong Creek, Young. White and his family lived here pretty much undisturbed until June 1860 when gold was found at one of his sheep camps – Lambing Flat. Continue reading “St John the Evangelist’s Anglican Church”

St Paul’s Cathedral

089
St Paul’s Cathedral

In 1859 the Anglican Diocese of St. Helena was established by Queen’s Order in Council, and included the islands of St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, and until 1869 the British residents of Rio de Janeiro and other towns on the eastern seaboard of South America as well as the Falklands Islands. The first Bishop, Piers Claughton, was consecrated in Westminster Abbey in London. Continue reading “St Paul’s Cathedral”

The Oldest Anglican Church in the Southern Hemisphere

Bosom

6744372-st_james_from_jacobs_ladder_saint_helena
St James’ Anglican Church

St James Church in Jamestown is the oldest Anglican Church in the southern hemisphere. The East India Company was granted a charter by Oliver Cromwell in 1657 to fortify and colonise places of strategic value to it. The Company claimed St Helena on 5 May 1659 at which stage the first Anglican church was built. An earlier Portuguese church is recorded as existing on this site as far back as 1571. Continue reading “The Oldest Anglican Church in the Southern Hemisphere”