The South Australian Government manages three botanic gardens in the Adelaide area:
The 14 hectares Wittunga Botanic Garden was established by Edwin Ashby in 1902 though it did not come into state ownership until 1965. It was opened to the public in 1975 and contains and extensive collection of plants from Australia and South Africa (mainly from the Cape Province district which has similar climatic conditions to Adelaide).
The gardens were originally established based on a formal English style though before long began to include South African plants – principally Ericas, Leucadendron and Proteas which are especially beautiful in spring.
The Australian sections feature plants from Kangaroo Island and the Fleurieu Peninsula (South Australian regions) and south western Australia.
The garden also features a butterfly garden and a grey box woodland planting, endangered in South Australia.
While spectacular in spring, it is still very much worth visiting any time of the year. Give yourself about an hour (unless you bring a picnic and wile away some additional hours relaxing on the lawns by the lake).
The former Ashby family residence (rebuilt in 1934 after it was destroyed by a bushfire) is not open to the public.
The garden is open Mon – Fri 8.30 am to 4 pm, Sat, Sun & public holidays 10 am to 5 pm (10 am – 6 pm Daylight Saving Summer Period).
Guided walks leave from the car-park at 10:30am every Tuesday in Spring (September, October and November). The walks last about one and a half hours.
Getting there : Bus/Train – Train from Adelaide Station to Coromandel Station (Belair Line) and use Shelbourne Road entry to Garden. Alternatively bus to Blackwood and then a local bus or walk the 1km to the Garden (main entrance on Shepherd’s Hill Road).
Ample carparking is available on site (at main entrance) for those who choose to drive.
Admission : Free
Facilities – Toilets only
Address: Shepherds Hills Road, Eden Hills
This is my last Adelaide – ADELAIDE HILLS AND FOOTHILLS review.
For other ADELAIDE reviews click HERE.