This memorial on Anzac Parade primarily commemorates the dead of two WWII campaigns but is also dedicated to those who died on Greek soil in WWI.
Firstly, the 6 April 1941 advance of Allied forces (which included the 6th Australian Division) against a German advance in mainland Greece. This campaign was a fighting withdrawal with Allied troops greatly outnumbered.
A significant number of Australian Troops were evacuated to Crete where they later joined Greek, British and New Zealand troops in the second commemorated campaign, another ill fated campaign against German troops.
Over 5000 Australians were taken prisoner or war in these campaigns.
This marble memorial, designed by Ancher, Mortlock and Woolley Pty Ltd, resembles the shape of an amphitheatre amidst an olive grove. The doric column symbolises the birth of civilisation and is embossed with the cross of the Greek Orthodox Church, representing a soldier’s grave. The column stands on a mosaic pavement which represents the rugged coastline and terrain of the battlefields. The damaged steel fragment reflects the futility and destruction of war. The heavy symbolism of this monument is better explained on the dedication plaque on the back entry to the monument.
The memorial was dedicated in May 1988 by Australian Prime Minister, Bob Hawke and Greek Deputy Prime Minister, Yannis Haralambopoulos.
Unlike all the other memorials along Anzac Parade this memorial is best approached from the rear.
Address: ANZAC Parade